I recently got a new donut pan!! And well the first time I tried making donuts they turned out HORRIBLE. I actually ended up throwing them out, which is saying a lot because usually I will eat anything I make even if its a little off. But fear not because I gave it another go today and found the perfect homemade protein donut recipe.
This recipe is Emily Frisella’s that she posted on her snapchat the other day and its now posted on her Fit Home and Health website HERE. I will post the recipe/directions quick below with the substitutions I used but there’s more detail on her site.
Donuts: 1/3cup flour *
1 scoop Snickerdoodle PEScience protein
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbls applesauce
1/3 cup + 2 Tbls unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
*I used white flour because last time I used oat and it wasn’t the best. She recommends Coconut or Almond flour.
2T coconut oil
½ scoop Snickerdoodle PEScience protein
1/2 Tbls Almond butter
Additional toppings: Sprinkles!
- Preheat oven to 325
- Lightly spray doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray
- In a small bowl mix together all dry ingredients
- In a medium bowl mix together all wet ingredients
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the medium bowl
- Mix well
7. Pour into doughnut pan
8. Bake for 20-23mins
9. Once done, let them sit for 2-3 min
10. Turn them over onto a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
When doughnuts are cooled, you can glaze them:
- In a small bowl but large enough to dip doughnut in, add 2T coconut oil, 1/2T of almond butter
- Microwave 15-20 seconds. Just enough to soften the oil and begin to melt it. You don’t want it completely melted.
- Add a small amount of the protein powder at a time and mix until all protein is used.
4. Dip the doughnuts into the glaze and place on a tray. I put them back onto the cooling rack with some parchment paper underneath.
5. Sprinkle on the sprinkles!
6. Once all are glazed, place in the fridge and let glaze set 4-5 mins
7. Remove and place in an airtight container
Hope you all enjoy this recipe and check out the Fit Home and Health website by Emily, she has so many delicious recipes AND tips and tricks for around the house. And if you don’t follow her on snap chat, well you should do that too! (@emilyfrisella) Because she’s always doing tutorials on recipes!